Sunday, November 18, 2007

End of a hotel -- boom!



















A snap from my phone a few days before the Sheraton was de-ploded, or whatever they call it. The guy's T-shirt says "Omega The last word in demolition."

Last night there were flashing signs on A1A saying Collins Avenue would be closed Sunday morning. What's that about? This morning, lying in bed barely awake, I heard a low roar about a dozen blocks away -- or so I guestimated. What's that about?

Now I see -- they blew down the last standing Sheraton building in Bal Harbour (about a dozen blocks from me in North Beach). Too bad. Here's a link to the Miami Herald's on-line coverage of the event. End of an era, the Herald says, "Ratpack" and all that. Having arrived here more recently, I don't know about its old incarnation as the Americana. To me it's where the Yankess stayed during the 2003 World Series when the Marlins cleaned their clock -- YES!

N.B. The curved building on the right is NOT part of the Sheraton and was not demolished.


No comments: