Thursday, July 12, 2007

Throw away that iPhone during lightning storm

An article in today's Miami Herald struck fear into the heart of this recent buyer of an iPhone -- using such a device can increase your injuries if you get hit by lightning!

It may not seem much to those who survive a lightning hit that in addition to their other injuries, they have fried eardrums or burns along the line of their ear-bud wires. But I'm inspired to strengthen my personal rule not to get hit by lightning.

UPDATE: While writing the above, I had this nagging worry that I was tempting fate. My name, after all, has some thunder in it. Then this evening I was in the parking lot at the Borders in Aventura, with a roiling, black cloud bank off to the west, when there was a tremendous clap of thunder. Well, the iPhone was in my pocket, but the lightning was elsewhere. Whew.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Using ANY cell phone, or anything with a radio antenna will increase your chances of being hit by lightning, not just the iphone. If you're going to be an alarmist, the least you can do is make sure EVERYONE who reads this can be scared, not just iphone users.

Larry Thorson said...

It's great that stuff I wrote a year ago draws comment. Now let's see folks line up to talk about current stuff on this blog.

Willie said...

2009: Nah, it's more fun to comment on articles that are two years old. Besides, if you are going to have the words "iPhone" and "Lightning" in the same article, you are bound to get some traffic from people looking to sync their calendars.